[FFmpeg-user] want to introduce some option

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Jul 27 22:22:02 EEST 2017

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 20:01:31 +0300, a b wrote:
> for example: -tmp [file location] or absence of output file.

I understand yor use-case, but:

> and ofcourse highly warn to user about power/media/free_space contitional risks.

The risks aren't different than with regular encoding, or what am I
missing?

> example: ffmpeg -i test.mkv -c:v pass -c:a aac [-tmp]
> result: test.mkv with reencoded soundtrack
> benefits: more easily batch processing.

All this can be done very easily in modern scripting languages.

> in case when /tmp is mounted on ramfs/tmpfs - engage in performance
> with speed you cpu/ssd/hdd, in this sequence.

I don't understand the last sentence (grammer, intent).

Where's the performance gain? Encoding to a faster disk may be quicker,
but copying back to the original disk will take i/o time again.

Otherwise: Feel free to request the feature on trac, and/or submit a
patch to ffmpeg-devel. ;-)

Just wondering,
Moritz