[FFmpeg-user] Compile master on i686

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 16:49:38 EEST 2017

Hi!

>> The reason why the packager is using it is that Apple forbids FFmpeg's
>> use of securetransport / SecIdentityCreate() in the Appstore, see:
>> https://lists.ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2016-September/033607.html
>
> But it is for create some macOS/iOS app including ffmpeg binary, I think...
>
> And macOS/iOS app is basically closed source (not open source), to create
> such a app is not much with ffmpeg's licence I think...

It is allowed (under some conditions) to distribute a closed source application
linked against FFmpeg.

>  Especially, if the app is distributed via mac/iOS App Store...

It is possible that the App Store does not allow to distribute binaries based
on FFmpeg (I don't know) but this can't be our concern.

> But to use ffmpeg itself on macOS, I think it is better to support secure
> transport, am I wrong?

I believe that you are correct in the general case but it depends on individual
needs.

Carl Eugen