[FFmpeg-user] man ffmpeg absent

Anatoly anatoly at kazanfieldhockey.ru
Tue Jul 18 17:45:54 EEST 2017

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 16:45:39 +0300
ILJA SHEBALIN <iljashebalin2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anatoly, thanks for such an informative response. It looks like its
> tougher than I thought with all this compiling and alike.
Compiling may need little knowledge, but using port system to do that
must be simple. Automated builds is a purpose of port systems. Port
system has a preset for every software it knows, so it know how to build
ffmpeg.
> I think I
> forgot to mention that I wanted something as online independent
> as .docset.
If you want just offline docs, download "FFMpeg static build for linux"
https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-git-64bit-static.tar.xz,
extract, and enjoy content of /manpages directory. Full equivalent of
man pages is there in pdf and txt.
>One more question: when I type "ffmpeg --help" (with a
> bunch of options) I see some help info as to output of every option
> supplied to ffmpeg. Does that make for a perfect equivalent of "man"
> pages?
No, there is more in man pages.