[FFmpeg-user] man ffmpeg absent

Cley Faye cleyfaye at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 10:12:09 EEST 2017

> What advantage does the bundle have over bare bone binary executables
> (UNIX execs in this case)? Do they enhance my experience supplementing
> basic features with extra ones?

​For starter, using a decent package manager provides a mean to install man
pages, which was the initial topic of this thread :)

man pages are just files that are put in a place where "man" (the software)
looks for them. They are not related to the actual executable file.​ If you
download an archive with only the executables, you get only the
executables. If you want the man pages, either you grab them and put them
in their place manually, or you let a package manager do it for you (with
the added benefit of having a way to update things at a later time).