[FFmpeg-devel] patch for a new H.264 codec

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 12:57:42 EET 2019

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 4:53 AM Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 01:59:47 +0100, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > The library needs non-free in configure and please
> > use dynamic linking, not loading at run-time.
>
> There is also no indication whatsoever where to get mvM264Ffmpeg.dll
> and libmvM264Ffmpeg.so from. No-one can even attempt to run (or - once
> you, Yufei, have fixed it - compile) this functionality without this.
> That's hopeless.

I want to reiterate my point from the other thread here that I think it's
time that we set an official project policy w.r.t. closed-source software.

I believe we should either choose that there is no place in FFmpeg for this
sort of things (I support this point of view), or we should set specific
guidelines about the software (I understand some developers lean more
towards this, and I respect that). Right now it's all random and that's not
good.

- How do we set up a fate station with m264 support? Or will matrox provide
one? Or will it be available to FFmpeg developers at no charge?
- How do we test that it still works after we make innocent changes to some
API?
- If we add new H264 files to our conformance suite, how do we confirm that
m264dec passes them?
- If we see particular optimizations or code changes that would make this
wrapper work better, how do we test that it still works? (If we can't, then
is the wrapper truly open source software?)
Etc.

Ronald