[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.5 / 4.0

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Mon Apr 16 14:24:48 EEST 2018

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018 at 02:04:43PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:53:08AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 02:50:08AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Its 4 months since 3.4 was branched so its time for a new major release
> > >
> > > Is 4.0 or 3.5 preferred ?
> > > Any name suggestions ?
> > >
> > > If there are no objections i will likely make that release in the next weeks
> >
> > more time has passed than intended ...
> >
> > what issues do remain that need to be fixed before the release ?
> > I see fate.ffmpeg.org is not looking that well (compared to most
> > releases in the past) i remember this being pretty much green longer ago
> > do people want these to be fixed before the release ?
>
> ok, so, my plan is to create a release/4.0 branch from master in the next
> 24-48 hours unless theres some issue brought to my attention (CC me just to
> be sure if theres an issue)
>
> then wait 2 days or so and backport any newly found bugfixes to release/4.0
> and then make the release finally
>
> delays at any point are possible due to issues, lack of time or other.
>
> as name i think kierans suggestion of Wu would make sense. IIRC we had
> no name suggested by more than 1 developer. Please correct me if i
> miscounted i did only briefly re-check the mails in the thread.

release/4.0 branched
next is the release in a few days.
If theres something i should wait for please say so and CC me
also please backport all bugfixes to 4.0

If someone wants to write more fancy release notes or other things
please do so before the release is made

Thanks

It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities
are wrong. -- Voltaire