[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 3.5 / 4.0

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Sat Apr 14 15:04:43 EEST 2018

On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 12:53:08AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 02:50:08AM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Its 4 months since 3.4 was branched so its time for a new major release
> >
> > Is 4.0 or 3.5 preferred ?
> > Any name suggestions ?
> >
> > If there are no objections i will likely make that release in the next weeks
>
> more time has passed than intended ...
>
> what issues do remain that need to be fixed before the release ?
> I see fate.ffmpeg.org is not looking that well (compared to most
> releases in the past) i remember this being pretty much green longer ago
> do people want these to be fixed before the release ?

ok, so, my plan is to create a release/4.0 branch from master in the next
24-48 hours unless theres some issue brought to my attention (CC me just to
be sure if theres an issue)

then wait 2 days or so and backport any newly found bugfixes to release/4.0
and then make the release finally

delays at any point are possible due to issues, lack of time or other.

as name i think kierans suggestion of Wu would make sense. IIRC we had
no name suggested by more than 1 developer. Please correct me if i
miscounted i did only briefly re-check the mails in the thread.

Thanks

Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give
it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For
even the very wise cannot see all ends. -- Gandalf